Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Surprising research results are GOOD news for me!

I have read an article called "The Perceptual Span and the Eye-Hand Span in Sight-Reading Music" by Frances E. Truitt, Charles Clifton, Jr., Alesander Pollatsek, and Keith Rayner - Journal of Visual Cognition, 1997, 4(2), 143-161. Department of Psychology - University of Massachussets, Amherst, USA.
The conclusions which do not differ too much from another experimental studies give me a lot of hope. Maybe all I need is more practice.
The researchers, concluded that "pianists do not need to see more than the whole measure that they are fixating in order to perform normally and the eye-hand span is a little more than one beat". They say, and it is true, these results are " at odds with the belief about sight-reading among musicians which is that their eyes need to be well ahead of their hands".
The authors state that the center of fixation is only one note ahead of the hands and that "the maximal region that musicians obtain information from is about 3-4 beats ahead of the note being played". Sight-readers, they say, rarely extract information ahead of the measure being played.
The authors also say that musicians are "seduced by the illusion that detail can be extracted from a wider region of the parafovea and periphery than is actually possible". While sight-reading, the eyes STAY VERY CLOSE TO THE NOTE that is being played.

The developmental optometrist I am in contact with has sent me this article. I am going to meet with her to get acquainted with the machines they use for measuring eye movements so I understand it better. She also wants to see some of my piano scores since I have told her that although this research was done with pianists, they have used only ONE line music which differs a lot from the pianists reality.

I would like to thank Sara and Lisa for the nice comments. Can you give suggestions that I can try during my practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment