Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2009

More about hymns

Yesterday I started practicing the 20 hymns without stopping between each of them . This way, I have to change key signatures very fast. I also have been paying more attention to the common tones. The bass and tenor voices are less eventful and they have more common tones than the soprano and alto. This has been very helpful and I can feel my eyes reading the left hand ahead giving me more time to focus on the right hand.
After I play the hymns and the Scarlatti, I play through some Broadway songs. They modulate a lot and after the hymn practicing, I have been much more sharp when changing key signatures.

I have been reading all music styles. The Broadway pieces, Copland songs along with Latin music, are great for rhythm.

1 comment: