Search This Blog

Saturday, August 22, 2009

"Chunking Behavior"

I have yet to read more about "chunking". It is still too early on my quest. So far, I have just bumped into "encourage chunking behavior" without further explanations besides finding the definition of it.
For "chunks", I use a lot of Czerny, Clementi ,Kabalevsky, Tansman, Pishna, Berens and Heller with my early intermediate students (to complement their sonatinas Clementi, Diabelli, etc). For advanced intermediate students, I work on Sacarlatti, Haydn, Diabelli, Burgmuller.
I, on the other hand, have been avoiding working on my "chunks". Today, however, I found an excellent Czerny (a Chinese edition) which is perfect for more advanced musicians. It explores "chunkings" to exhaustion and it has wonderful fingering. You also have to work very hard on the geography of the keyboard (they go through several key signatures).
It is useless for me to go through studies that I use with my students because I know them too well.
I will start working on them daily and post here my results.

The book ( you probably know it already), is called Schule des virtuosen Op.365

I am currently reading another research about sight-reading which studies pianists reading two staves. It is called: The effects of skill on eye-hand span during sight-reading music (Royal Society) by S. Furneaux and M. S. Land.
I will post the conclusions later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment