Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fingering

My ability to improvise good fingering while sight-reading comes from my technical skills.
Everyday I go through all arpeggios, scales in thirds, major and minor scales as well as all the other modes. Lots of pianists neglect practicing the modes, therefore missing a great opportunity to prepare fingering for all "situations".
I recommend sight-reading through Scarlatti sonatas. They are very challenging because one can find pieces of scales, modes and arpeggios throughout them. I use a Schirmer edition which does not have fingering forcing me to apply my technical skills.
Scarlatti is also good because one will have to move and skip all over the keyboard. Besides the scales and arpeggios, Scarlatti wrote a great deal of musical patterns (i.e. broken intervals) into his sonatas.

My attempts to read high chords down/up and low chords up/down, is turning out to be very successful. I am thrilled!

tchau now

No comments:

Post a Comment