Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Musicians, Athletes And Their Eyes

I always tell my students that "practicing the piano is sports for their fingers" in an effort to get them to practice their drills. Just like a basketball player would.

I have been working on these eye exercises in order to improve my sight-reading and hopefully, help others.
While my research is an original idea for musicians, to my surprise, I found out that athletes have also been working on similar exercises.
I recommend that you read a paper available on the internet called "The Impact of Vision Training on Sport Performance". This paper reflects exactly the same work I have been doing. Go to http://www.sportsci.org/news/ferret/visionreview/visionreview.html
This article discusses how visual ability affects performance. Sports such as basketball, tennis, golf, baseball, football can all benefit from improving, e.g., visual search and peripheral vision. The authors state that motor skills are starting to take advantage of this new area of research called Sports Vision.
They conclude that teachers and coaches should include in their programs visual perceptual skill exercises. "Teachers must learn to observe how performers use their eyes in intercepting skills like catching or striking and provide appropriate vision feedback. Knowing about visual limitations can assist in providing instruction and feedback on the use of vision in sport."(Knudson,Kulka)

If you read the article, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment