Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Alexandre Dossin, Tchaikovsky and The Seasons Op.37bis


The Seasons, edited by Dossin and recently published by Schirmer (Performance edition), is a set of 12 pieces, one for each month. Whether you want to play or teach The Seasons, this is the edition and CD.
Dossin makes you wish the year had more then 12 months. His imagination and skill made me hear an orchestra playing (I am a big fan of Tchaikovsky's orchestral work).

The level of the pieces range from early intermediate to late advanced. Although they are not technically challenging, they are part of the 3rd year examination at the Tchaikovsky Conservatory and at the Tchaikovsky International Piano Competition.

This edition includes: Historical Notes, Performance Notes and a section About the Editor.

The Performance notes are very helpful in explaining how and who commissioned this group of pieces as well as the origin of the subtitles and poetic epigraphs.
I found the suggestions given by Dossin on how to perform the work as a whole or in smaller groups very interesting.*
There are priceless notes on how to perform and practice each "month".

This edition was based on the composer's manuscript but Dossin added fingering, provided a small range of metronome markings and pedal. Dynamics and articulation are original and suggestions are in parenthesis.

Dossin wrote the fingering for a medium-size hand. It is hard to describe it but the fingering is extremely unique. You have to try it for yourself. Obviously he put a lot of thought on writing them. I like how the fingering helps the phrasing (e.g., April), legato (e.g., April), articulation and even dynamics (e.g., placing strong fingers on accents).
There is a lot of fingering redistribution (e.g., May) in order to help pedaling and suggestions on hands placement (e.g., January, April).

I hope this new edition helps popularize this set. The two well known pianist's guide for repertoire by Magrath and Hinson have small descriptions of this set.
I have taught just about every piece from Album for the Young Op.39 (levels 3 to 8) and I am sure I am not alone. During my sight-reading exploration, I read the Op.40 and I confess I was very disappointed. I could not believe this was the same guy that wrote one of my favorite concertos for violin Op.35 :(

Alexandre Dossin has several recordings. Go to http://www.uoregon.edu/~music/About/bios/dossina.htm to see his complete discography.
My favorites, as a teacher, are the Kabalevsky Preludes and Sonatas and (finally!) a great recording of Kabalevsky Sonatinas.
Dossin is also editing and recording Tchaikovsky Album for the Young Op.39. It will be published by Schirmer this coming March.

*I was amused to read on Hinson's Guide to the Pianist's Repertoire the following description: "Twelve pieces, one for each month. More effective when performed individually". I am sure Dossin will be amused as well. Dossin wrote: "In my opinion, performing one piece at a time works well only as an encore...but not in a recital program. These pieces are very simple and of a small scope, and they tend to feel even smaller when accompanied by other major works".

5 comments:

  1. I will follow your suggestion again.
    Thanks for exposing us to these pianists.
    By the way, I never liked Hinson's Guide. I prefer Magrath. Other teachers will disagree with me. But since I am anonymous.....
    I am very curious about the Kabalevsky too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you find these incredible musicians?
    I am getting Dosin's Liszt. I have read amazing reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I never teach Tchaikovsky. Maybe a couple of pieces from album for the young.
    -Do you think students take advantage of the CDs?
    Kai L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question, Kai.
    When I was in my teens, I spent lots of time listening to classical music. I started teaching when I was 14 and upon receiving my first paycheck, I bought Berlioz's and Stravinsky's symphonic works, Mozart's operas and Bach's concertos. These days, students don't listen to good music resulting in a lack of style in playing Mozart, Bach, Bartok, etc. They play these composers in the same style.
    I spent a lot of time and money making CDs for my students, who rarely listened to them.
    I wish they would take advantage of better artists recording their pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this blog. You have a very original idea here. Keep developing it.
    Congratulations. I can't wait to read about the other exercises.
    Kai

    ReplyDelete