Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Temporal Visual Processing

TVP is a very complex subject for me to discuss. At this point, I have been reading a lot about it and I am yet to learn more. However, I am prematurely going to write about it because this is one area where I have been noticing great improvement. I will try to explain in a very simple and summarized manner. According to the PTS II manual, TVP controls the ability to change visual fixation from one point to another as we read. It enables us "to read smoothly, rapidly, and efficiently. It enhances reading fluency and comprehension." A deficit in temporal visual processing will compromise reading ability. Minor deficit in temporal visual processing can cause loss of place while reading, slow speed, visual fatigue, poor comprehension, frustration reading and images overlapping or running together.
Temporal processing interprets the messages that reach the visual area. Temporal processing is responsible for recalling memories of previous visual experiences or activities.
I have gone through 26 sections of the PTS II program and I have already noticed a substantial improvement. I am now much faster. My parafoveal vision has improved and allowed me even to see or recall previous accidentals. I believe memory of previous activity, such as where my hands were on the keyboard so I can plan for future placements, are vital for successful sight-reading.
Besides doing the tests required by PTS II, I have been working through a lot of the practice sections.
I suggest you read the article:

Measurement of temporal processing abilities.

Vishakha Rawool, PhD, CCC-A

Doctor of Audiology program

Department of Speech Pathology & Audiology

West Virginia University, Morgantown WV 26506


This article will give you great insight on other functions of the temporal processing.






1 comment:

  1. I have learned a lot reading this blog! Keep up the excellent worK

    ReplyDelete