Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Harmon Distance

I have been experimenting sight-reading from several different distances. My first instinct (wrong!) was to sit as far as possible from the score so I could have a wider view of it. It turns out, after reading some papers by optometrists, that there is an optimal distance between our eyes and the working area where one can be more efficient. Such distance is called "Harmon Distance". It is calculated by measuring the distance between elbow and knuckles.
Other things contribute to more efficient reading skills. The book or working surface should be tilted between 20 to 23 degrees from the horizontal. The back is to be straight, feet on the floor, and of course, good lighting is a must.
Both Harmon Distance and the recommended sloping working surface, are impossible to achieve while playing the piano without hurting the hand and arm position.

Dr J has agreed to order the TVPP soft ware for me. I am looking forward to do the exercises and learn more about reading.

3 comments:

  1. This is the first time I find a discussion about advanced sight reading. I'll keep coming back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This discussion is very good. I never considered visual issues beyond being able to see the score as related to sight - reading. I think you may have just found the jackpot!
    All my ideas would be geared to practicing sightreading which sounds like an oxymoron, however that is how I became a "professional sightreader".
    As a child pianist I found it immensely more interesting to sight read through numerous pages of seemingly interesting music rather than spending the arduous time it took to analyze, memorize and eventually have music.
    Sight reading became a way of having fun and if something is fun, why not have more of it?
    I believe I trained myself into a sightreader by doing it daily and enjoying it!
    Currently,
    I am into Faure. However in the recent past I found that Lizst is technically difficult but easy to understand, therefore great fun to "fake" thorugh (which are my feelings about sightreading at this point). I enjoy the collection Music for millions - advanced level for sight reading. Good stuff for college functions too!
    I will be back!!!

    Andrea Emmel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea,

    I do agree with you I have found a "jackpot".
    I think that do to my level of performance and experience, I must have some visual issue. I feel the need to put more thought into sight-reading that transcends practice alone.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I will take a look at Music for Millions. I have been sight-reading Faure songs too. I find them very rewarding.
    Please come back.

    ReplyDelete