Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2009

Update on the developmental optometrist

She has contacted me and stated that reading music should be just like reading a book. The eyes move from left to right and horizontally. She is right- this is what I do when reading one clef. However, reading a piano score involves vertical and horizontal eye movements as well as choices of reading from the bottom /top, top/bottom or a combination of both. I would like her to find out the most efficient way to go about this.

I found out this week, while doing my practice, that I have been reading the notes before I read the accidentals ahead of them. I was surprised to see how much better it is to do the opposite! Isn't that wild? I have probably been doing this since I was a kid. Just by correcting that, I feel some improvement!

This coming week, I will explore reading from top/bottom.
Tchau for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment